Saturday, January 24, 2009

Is George Mitchell Lebanese?

Well, his mother is (or was). Question: call me an asshole, but isn't it potentially problematic that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2007? I mean, writing a report on steroids is one thing, but you wouldn't want your special envoy having to undergo chemotherapy at a critical juncture in Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations.

P.S. An older friend with early-stage prostate cancer reminds me that this type of cancer tends to develop very slowly and in many men is not a significant hindrance or even minor nuisance in their daily lives. And if Mitchell fails to achieve peace in the Middle East, "my prostate is enlarged" is sort of the older man's version of "need to spend more time with my family."

P.P.S. What's this all about? (Via Kaus.) And why is there a picture of Billary?
Link