Sunday, January 04, 2009

If You Thought 'Borat' Was Offensive...

OK, so I saw Slumdog Millionaire last Thursday night and while overall I thought it was very good (I'd probably give it A-), I can't help but thinking of the reaction of the Kazakhstan government to Borat and how infinitely more offensive Slumdog is to India than the openly and unabashedly unrealistic Borat was to Kazakhstan. Basically if I were a Hindu nationalist or even a run-of-the-mill Indian patriot I'd be apoplectic that my country -- homeland of Gandhi, birthplace of two of the world's great religions, the world's largest democracy -- was being depicted for millions of Western viewers as little more than a cesspool of gangsterism, con men, child prostitution, desolate slums, corrupt television personalities, anti-Muslim lynch mobs, and police who torture common criminals. Was there a single decent person in the entire film besides Jamal and Latika?