Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Sacramento Watch

Does Arnold Schwarzenegger -- the chiseled Caesar of our times -- have a conflict of interest on the steroid issue as Governor of California, on the one hand, and editor/publisher of several major bodybuilding magazines, on the other? And is this (below) what you might call a flip-flop?
________

Arnold, 1974: "I take steroids because they help me an extra 5 percent. Women take the (contraception) pill. They are somewhat similar. I do it under a doctor's supervision." (Interview with Barbara Walters.)

Arnold, 1998: "As someone who is in a position to influence young people, I want to make my position very clear. I am absolutely against the use of these dangerous and illegal substances."
("New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding," by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bill Dobbins, 1998.)

Arnold, 2005: "I've been for testing ever since the idea came about. We've had testing at the Arnold Classic (bodybuilding competition) ... following exactly the same guidelines as the Olympic committee does. ... I'm very adamant about it. Because my feeling is, if you take all the drugs away, we will still have the same winners. It won't change." (Interview with San Francisco Chronicle.)
Link