Sunday, October 31, 2004

Assigning Blame for the Flu Shot Fiasco

Actually, this other letter in the Bee is interesting, too:
_____

At 8 a.m., two hours before 250 flu shots were scheduled, many of the frail elderly in wheelchairs or on lawn chairs, wrapped in blankets, were already there. The mood was surprisingly jovial. Some brought cookies. Water was provided by the Price Less Pharmacy at Roseville Square, as was access to their restrooms. I was number 226.I lamented to the man next to me that Homeland Security screwed up. After all, if a vaccine that we use annually was not available to everyone who needed it, America is vulnerable to a biological terrorist attack. He smiled and nodded in agreement, but the guy in front of us whipped around, planting his rubber-tipped cane in the middle of my chest. He screamed an epithet, and cried out, "Hillary!"

He was certain that Hillary Clinton's 1993 failed health care reform caused this shortage. I took another bite of my cookie, and explained: "1993 was 11 years ago." There was no way this is Hillary's fault.

Six hours later, I received my flu shot, still wondering just what would happen if we were subjected to a biological attack. This was a failed rehearsal with fatal consequences for some.

- Marshall H. Chazen, Lincoln
______

Hillary Clinton? Biological attack? It's just the flu, folks!
Link